Signs of a Gas Leak
Natural gas is non-toxic, colorless, odorless and lighter than air. An odor is added to help you detect a potential gas leak. Signs include:
- A rotten egg odor.
- Discolored or dead vegetation over or near the pipeline.
- A hissing, whistling or roaring sound near a gas appliance or pipeline.
- Dirt or debris being blown into the air.
- Persistent bubbles in streams, ponds or wet areas.
- Flames (if a leak has ignited).
If a leak occurs:
- Leave the area immediately.
- Warn others to stay away.
- From a safe place, call 911, then call PSNC Energy at 1-877-776-2427.
What NOT to do if you suspect a gas leak:
- Do not try to turn natural gas valves on or off.
- Do not smoke, use a lighter or strike a match.
- Do not use any electric switch, telephone or cell phone, garage door opener, or flashlight as they can cause sparks and ignite gas.
- Do not start or stop nearby vehicles, machinery, or other things that may spark.
If you are planning to dig on your property, follow these important steps:
- Call before you dig. State laws require that before digging, you call NC811 by dialing 811 or visitingNC811.org to have your lines located at least 3 full working days before you begin any excavation work in North Carolina.
- Wait. At no cost to you, technicians will mark the location of the utility lines on your property. Once all lines are marked, you can then safely begin your digging project.
- Respect the markings for your safety.
- Dig with care. If you accidentally hit the pipeline, no matter how minor it may seem, leave the area immediately and from a safe place call 911; then call PSNC Energy at 1-877-776-2427 and .
If a pipeline is located on or near your property:
- It is illegal to tamper with or remove PSNC Energy's pipeline markers.
- Permanent structures such as storage buildings, sheds, swimming pools, or bodies of water may not be built within the right-of-way.
- Trees may not be planted within the right-of-way.
- Changing the ground elevation by either adding or removing soil from the right-of-way is not permitted.