The first step in converting your home to gas is to check for natural gas availability in your area by calling your local PSNC Energy Sales Office at 828-667-6146.
We'll have a new business representative contact you to check the availability or provide you with the costs, if any, to have a gas service line installed to your home.
Once gas availability has been determined, converting your home to natural gas involves seven simple steps:
Converting to Natural Gas
- First, a local marketing representative will meet with you at your home to determine the appropriate gas meter location and to gather your information in order to create your gas account with us.
- A PSNC Energy crew will install the service line from the street to your home. Digging is required. However, PSNC Energy will restore your lawn by reseeding and replacing any landscape necessary.
- PSNC Energy or the contractor of your choice will install your natural gas equipment and connect the inside gas piping out to the meter location. You may want to check with us for possible rebates offered by the appliance manufacturers, special financing options or if the appliance you are converting qualifies for a federal tax credit.
(Learn more about the federal tax credit.)
- The contractor installing the equipment will file for a permit with the local inspection department. The permit requires an air-pressure test of your gas line. If it passes this test, the inspector will attach a green tag. This step must be completed before PSNC Energy can set and turn on your gas meter. Most jurisdictions also require a final inspection of the gas equipment.
- A day will be scheduled for our meter crew to arrive at your home and set your gas meter. They may need access to your home to see the gas equipment or the thermostat. Also, your heating dealer or contractor will want to return and start up the heating system to be sure it is working properly.
- After the inspection is complete, call our PSNC Energy Customer Service Center toll-free at 1-877-776-2427. At least one piece of gas equipment must be completely installed before we can turn it on for you. We may need to have access to the equipment and your thermostat.
- Now it's time to sit back, relax and enjoy the comfort, convenience and reliability that natural gas provides.
PSNC Energy appliance sales, installation, maintenance, and repair are not a part of the regulated services offered by PSNC Energy and are not in any way sanctioned by the North Carolina Utilities Commission. There is no advantage to customers of PSNC Energy if they buy these products or services from PSNC Energy. A customer does not have to buy such products or services in order to continue to receive the same safe and reliable natural gas service from PSNC Energy.