Gas Safety Awareness

Natural gas is safe when it's used properly, but accidents can happen. That's why at PSNC Energy, we want you and everyone in your family to know all you can about natural gas safety, from how to detect a gas leak, to what and what not to do in an emergency. 

Gas Leaks

Gas-heated Hot Water

Appliances and Carbon Monoxide

Flexible Gas Connectors


Gas Leaks

Natural gas is a colorless, odorless, non-toxic yet flammable substance. An odor is added to help you detect a potential gas leak.

Signs of an indoor gas leak:

  • An odor that smells like rotten eggs.
  • Unusual noises coming from your gas equipment.

Signs of an outdoor gas leak:

  • Dirt or debris being blown into the air.
  • Persistent bubbles from wet areas on the ground.
  • Vegetation over or near a pipeline appears discolored or dead.


What to do if a leak occurs:

  • Leave the area immediately.
  • Warn others to stay away.
  • From a safe place, call 911 and PSNC Energy
    at 1-877-776-2427

Remember these additional safety tips when you smell gas:

  • Do not attempt to turn natural gas valves on or off.
  • Do not turn on or off any electric switch; this could cause a spark and ignite the gas.
  • Do not use your telephone, cell phone, garage door opener or even a flashlight.
  • Do not smoke, use a lighter or strike a match.
  • Do not start or stop nearby vehicles or other machinery.  

Top of page

Gas-heated Hot Water
Gas makes an excellent choice for heating your home’s water. But if water gets too hot, it can scald you or a member of your household, causing serious injuries. This is particularly a concern if you have young children. Always set your water heater to the manufacturer’s specifications, usually 110 to 120 degrees.

Top of page

Appliances and Carbon Monoxide
Home appliances make our lives easier, but they must be properly installed and maintained to keep you and everyone in your household safe. Gas appliances that are not getting a sufficient supply of air can release carbon monoxide, a dangerous gas. Watch for things like yellow flames, flickering flames or soot that might indicate an appliance with a problem. Installing a carbon monoxide detector can help.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Heart flutters
  • Fatigue
  • Nausea

If you experience symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, take the following actions immediately:

  • Open the windows and get fresh air.
  • Turn off the gas appliance that is operating improperly.
  • Contact your local fire department or emergency rescue department.

Check out some additional applicance and carbon monoxide safety tips.

Top of page


Flexible Gas Connectors

When was the last time you thought about the connector that joins your natural gas appliance to the natural gas line?

Flexible Gas Connectors are corrugated metal tubes used to attach gas appliances to the natural gas pipes in a home or building. Older flexible connectors made of uncoated brass can weaken or crack over time, which could lead to a dangerous gas leak. Any uncoated brass gas appliance connector should be replaced immediately with a new stainless steel connector.

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, these uncoated flexible gas connectors have not been made for more than 25 years, but many are still in use in older appliances.

Follow these Guidelines to keep your family and home safe from a gas leak:

  • Avoid moving natural gas appliances – stressing connectors can cause them to crack or fail.
  • Do not move your natural gas appliances to check the connectors yourself.
  • Only a qualified professional plumber, HVAC technician or appliance repair contractor, should check your connector and replace it.
  • Connectors should be certified by the American Gas Association and be manufactured in accordance with the American National Standards Institute.

Top of Page 

gas safety awareness
call before you dig
pipeline safety program
pilot lighting safety
Facebook Twitter YouTube